Wind & Wet

DIY wind turbine (1)

Alternator Testing

As soon as the hub and alternator was working I ran it up using a variable speed electric drill for power. I used a Smiths Tachometer with a drive wheel run against the rim of the hub to get the RPM and a voltmeter and amp meter to get the power output. I had intended the turbine to be used to charge a 12 volt battery but didn't have a battery to hand so I used various 12v car light bulbs as a load. There was no means of measuring the power input from the drill.
The resulting graphs for no load voltage and power using various loads are below. The test setup was not easy to control especially with no load on the alternator so this could explain the variation in some of the points.
I do not warrant the correctness of this content. The risk from using it lies entirely with the user. While using this site, you agree to have read and accepted the terms of use. Copyright © 2024. All Rights Reserved. Privacy policy